Thursday, July 25, 2013

WINE CAKE and VODKA CAKE

I revel in travel and one of the things I always look forward to on a long journey is having the time to read a great book. I lugged three with me on a recent trip, sadly, none of which were very captivating.
However, I did appreciate "One Good Deed", by Erin McHugh. It was a book that provided much material for contemplation, and I concluded, if we were all a little more conscious of what was going on in the moment, immediately around us, we can make a big difference with small gestures. Even my 8 year old daughter and 65 year old mother enjoyed reading it whenever I put it down.
When there is a recipe featured in a book, I am always intrigued and usually want to try it, I love the stories surrounding food. This Wine cake was baked every year for the authors birthday, originally by her mother, and now by her cousin. I could not wait to try something that celebrated, and it was truly wonderful, and worthy of the tradition.
While looking through recipes after we had returned home, I noticed the similarities between these two cake recipes, and after the deliciousness of the Wine cake, I couldn't resist also trying the Vodka cake.

WINE CAKE


1 package yellow cake mix
1 small package vanilla instant pudding
4 eggs
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup wine
1/4 cup hot water
1 teaspoon nutmeg

Heat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix with electric mixer on medium for about two minutes. Pour into bundt pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from One Good Deed, 2012
Erin McHugh

VODKA CAKE


1 box yellow cake mix
1 large box of cook and serve chocolate pudding mix
4 eggs, room temperature, beaten
1 cup oil
1/2 cup kahlua
1/2 cup vodka
your favorite chocolate icing

Heat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a bundt pan.
Combine in the bowl of an electric mixer, the cake mix, chocolate pudding mix, eggs, oil, kahlua and vodka. Mix until combined.
Pour into cake pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Let the cake sit in the pan for a minute or two, then flip it onto a serving plate. While still piping hot, spread the icing on the cake. It will melt into the cake.
Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from The Morning News, May 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment