Wednesday, April 11, 2012

CRESCENT HOTEL'S BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

My husband and I had a wonderful night away at the Crescent Hotel, a beautiful place about an hour away from us.
I came across this recipe for blueberry muffins, on returning from the hotel. It was published in the newspaper, but was originally from the Ford Treasury of Favorite Recipes From Famous Eating Places. The book, a guide to popular restaurants nationwide, was one of a series published in the 1940's and 1950's.
There was a lot of baking powder, and it did have rather a strong over powering taste.
I didnt see the note until after I had mixed, baked, and given away most of the bitter tasting muffins - "this recipe contains no sugar but you should be able to add up to 1/4 cup without altering the texture" - I would definitely recommend it!!
I love the idea and the history of recreating a recipe from long ago, but I didn't so much love the taste.

CRESCENT HOTEL'S BLUEBERRY MUFFINS


1 cup of blueberries
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup shortening
1 cup milk
1 egg, beaten

Wash and drain blueberries, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the flour.
Sift remaining flour and baking powder together and cut in shortening. Add milk and egg and mix just until combined. Stir floured berries into batter quickly, don't mash them. Bake in hot greased muffin tins in moderate heat oven (350F), for 20 minutes.
Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from the Arkansas Democrat Gazette, January 2003
www.arkansasonline.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment