Friday, October 28, 2011

KEY LIME CAKE WITH LIME CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

KEY LIME CAKE WITH LIME CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

I came across the small delicious key limes in the supermarket, the same time as I came across this recipe for key lime cake.
I halved the recipe and cooked the cakes in two tins instead of one. I've included the original recipe, as my cakes came out a little dry. However, my kids said it was "the best frosting in the world" and that I "should become famous because of this frosting"
Although I halved the cake recipe, I didn't halve the frosting recipe - it was just enough, so if I made the whole recipe, I would double the frosting recipe!


1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup margarine softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
5 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons PLUS 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
lime cream cheese frosting (recipe follows)

Heat oven to 350F.
Coat 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with baking spray.
Beat butter and margarine together, gradually add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Add flour to egg-sugar mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk. Add lime juice, zest and vanilla. Mix well until blended.
Divide batter between prepared cake pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
Frost cooled cake with lime cream cheese frosting.

LIME CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

1/2 cup butter
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 1/2 to 4 cups confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons grated lime zest

Blend butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add confectioners sugar and lime juice. Add lime zest and mix.
Frost cooled cake,
Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Arkansas Democrat Gazette, August 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment