Thursday, March 29, 2012

ORANGE CURRANT SCONES

We have parent-teacher conferences this evening until 6:30pm, and I used this as an excuse for the whole family to go out for dinner.
I decided my recipe-of-the-day would be a breakfast item, and found this old recipe for orange currant scones. I have made these before, usually on a Christmas morning, and have always really enjoyed them. I know with my kids, if I put chocolate in it, they will eat it - and because I don't want to be in the position to eat every last thing that I make or be left with a lot of stale baked goods, I put chocolate in half of the recipe and currants in the other half. The kids LOVED them, and actually the orange zest and chocolate (I used chocolate chunks and white chocolate chips) complemented each other perfectly - as did the more adult combination of currants and orange zest.

ORANGE CURRANT SCONES


2 cups of flour
1/4 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup currants
1 egg
1/2 cup heavy cream
zest of 1 orange

Heat oven to 350F.
Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Add butter, cut in until mixture resembles pea-sized crumbs.
Add currants, stir to mix. In small bowl whisk egg, cream and zest until blended and add to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir to form large, moist clumps of dough. Turn dough onto a floured board, roll out into a 10 inch round, about 3/4 of an inch thick. Bake until scones are golden, about 25 minutes.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment