Sunday, July 22, 2012

TACOS de CARNE ASADA

When my husband announced steak night, I was thrilled - I never mind a night off from cooking, plus, there were left overs - perfect for this recipe. I had planned to make these tacos earlier, and had the ingredients ready to go - but due to a busy week, and a couple of spontaneous nights eating out, I didn't get to make it when I had planned. However, the night after steak night was perfect, and the pico de gallo was surprisingly, absolutely delicious!! Actually, this whole dish was wonderfully tasty, and as I was eating it - I realized healthy - no cheese or sour cream - and I didn't miss it at all.

TACOS de CARNE ASADA


FOR THE PICO DE GALLO
5 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
juice from 1 lime
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
pinch salt
pinch sugar

FOR THE STEAK
1 1-pound skirt steak, trimmed (or left overs - any cut is fine)
1/2 cup chili powder
8 4-inch tortillas, flour or corn
1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 avocado, cut into 8 slices
1/2 lime, cut into 4 wedges

Prepare the pico de gallo: In a small bowl, combine tomatoes, red onion, jalapeño, lime juice, cilantro, salt and sugar. Add additional salt to taste if necessary. Set aside.
Prepare the steak: Spritz a grill pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high. Meanwhile, coat steak on all sides with chili powder and rub in. Cook steak for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until desired doneness is reached. Remove from heat and let rest for 1 minute, then slice into 1/2 inch thick strips and set aside (I used left over steak from the night before, rubbed it with the chili, sliced it then warmed it in a pan).
In a separate pan, heat the tortillas for 1 minute on each side. Top each with 2 tablespoons of pico de gallo and equal amounts of steak, black beans, cilantro and avocado (and I added some pickled jalapeños). Garnish each plate with a wedge of lime.
Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Shape, May 2012
www.shape.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment