Thursday, April 25, 2013

ANZAC BISCUITS

ANZAC BISCUITS


While talking with Mum on the phone, she reminded me ANZAC day was today in New Zealand.
This day "marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australia and New Zealand forces during the First World War. ANZAC stands for Australia New Zealand Army Corp" (http://www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/anzac/anzac_tradition.asp) whose soldiers were known as ANZACS.
When I first moved overseas, I would make these biscuits (cookies) a lot - but it has been a while since I have indulged.
My daughter was excited to help me mix up the dough. I had made notes years ago in my Edmonds Cookbook, but I didn't understand my instructions, so I put in more butter than I should have, resulting in a lovely tasting, but very flat biscuit.

100 grams of butter (as the recipe states)
1 tablespoon golden syrup
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup coconut
3/4 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon hot water

Melt butter and syrup together in a large saucepan. Cool. Mix sugar, coconut, rolled oats and flour together. Stir into saucepan. Dissolve soda in water and mix in. Place rounded teaspoonfuls on a greased oven tray. Bake at 180C/350F for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden.
Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from The Edmonds Cookery Book, 1992
www.edmondscooking.co.nz/

1 comment:

  1. I have always loved these! I remember you dipped the edge in chocolate one time, those were awesome, but they re equally good on their own. ~ Kari

    ReplyDelete