Monday, August 12, 2013

ARUGULA FENNEL SALAD

With Summer Vacation drawing to a close and school about to commence, it makes me realize how much I love transitions and a change in routine.
I look forward to the late mornings, travel, and visitors of summer, and how every day is different and usually a little crazy. But I also enjoy the quiet days after the kids are safely in school, being able to set my own schedule, to actually have time to think, and the seemingly endless potential for productivity.
I must admit, I even adore the small transitions, when the weekend is approaching after a long week, and again when Monday morning dawns bright with the promise of a fresh start, when it is finally time for an anticipated mid-year vacation or when a club or extra-curricular activity begins or comes to an end for the season.
I originally made this salad for friends over for a casual dinner, and it immediately became a favorite for any time, any occasion.

ARUGULA FENNEL SALAD


Make a French style vinaigrette with 1 tablespoon of minced shallot, 1/2 teaspoon of Dijon mustard, 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and 3 tablespoons of olive oil, adding the oil gradually and whisking all the while. Put the vinaigrette in a salad bowl, put in 6 ounces of clean and dry arugula, and half a fennel bulb, thinly sliced. Season and toss.

Recipe adapted from Food & Wine, December 2009
www.foodandwine.com/.../recipe-of-the-day-archive-december-2009

No comments:

Post a Comment