Monday, August 19, 2013

STRAWBERRY CORNMEAL CUPCAKES

The summer vacation went by very quickly, and although I wasn't quite ready for it to be over, I was looking forward to finding our Fall routine, and getting back to the school week rhythm.
I took the requisite "First Morning of School" photographs out the front of the house by the holly tree, as bunches of Sorority girls walked by smiling at the silly faces my kids were making. My husband and I leisurely walked the kids to school, had coffee with a group of other parents, then took a long walk around the beautiful downtown.
Even though my "TO DO" list was long and loomed large after many months of neglect, once I had cleaned up the kitchen from breakfast, and organized a lunch date with a friend, I wanted to make sure there was a freshly baked snack for the kids when they came home from school.
It's a good thing I was wanting more time at home with the kids, two of them developed fevers and chills over the course of the evening, so it looks like school will be postponed for a few more days.

STRAWBERRY CORNMEAL CUPCAKES


2/3 cup flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
1/2 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons cream
1/2 to 1 cup chopped strawberries
confectioners sugar for dusting

Heat oven to 350F.
Line muffin pan with paper liners.
In a bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Using an electric mixer, beat sugar, eggs and zest on medium speed for 5 minutes. Beat in olive oil and milk. Add flour mixture, beat just until blended. Gently stir in strawberries. Divide among muffin cups.
Bake until toothpick comes out clean, 20 to 25 minues. Dust with confectioners sugar.
Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray Magazine, May 2013
www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search‎

No comments:

Post a Comment