Saturday, December 21, 2013

CHERRY ALMOND FUDGE

I made a decision to keep our family Christmas very simple this year. At first we thought we might leave for New Zealand either Christmas day or the day after - in our experience it is a great time to travel - and I didn't want to be rushing around Christmas morning, taking down and storing away more than what we had needed to put up. Although we decided to postpone the trip for a couple of months, it gave me a good excuse to leave most of our decorations up in the attic.
Secondly, I have attempted many times, using many different methods, to have the kids pick up what they play with - all still to no avail!! So I am reluctant to buy them even more toys that I will have to pick up, and probably throw out, sell in my Flea Market Booth, or hide in the attic, along with the unused Christmas ornaments. Therefore, the pile under the tree will be a little smaller this year.
Thirdly, I decided a few years back to host a minimal amount of events during the holiday season. I love to entertain, but when I am asked to go somewhere, I like to make an effort to, at the very least, put in an appearance, and it is difficult to attend any other events when you have invited people to your home. I do love to cook, but I lower my expectations during the holiday season, as there is so much else to focus on. My children were appalled this past week when they dined on Fast Food two nights in a row. I had to coach them to hang in there, this was not usual and next month we would return to home cooked meals.
There is nothing less time consuming to prepare, than fudge. This Cherry Almond variety is no exception, minimal cooking and construction required.

CHERRY ALMOND FUDGE


1 bag (12 ounces) white vanilla baking chips
1 container (1 pound) vanilla frosting
1/2 cup chopped red candied cherries
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1 teaspoon vanilla
dash of salt

Line a 9 inch square pan with foil, spray foil with cooking spray.
In a large microwavable bowl, microwave baking chips for 1 minute and 30 seconds, stirring every 15 seconds, until melted.
Stir frosting into melted chips. Fold in remaining ingredients. Pour and spread into pan. Refrigerate 20 minutes or until set.
Using foil, lift fudge out of pan, remove foil. Cut into 6 rows by 6 rows. Store tightly covered.
Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker, 2010
www.bettycrocker.com/recipes‎

No comments:

Post a Comment