Friday, April 27, 2012

VEGGIE POTATO SALAD

I loved the idea of a potato salad with lots of vegetables mixed in, but when I made this recipe, I had reduced the amount of potatoes without reducing the amount of dressing. Next time I would definitely proportion it better. Also, in an attempt at healthier eating, I used light sour cream and mayonnaise, which may have altered the taste.
I like my potato salad warm, so I put the potatoes and green beans into the salad right away, without cooling them, and served it immediately.

VEGGIE POTATO SALAD


1 1/2 pounds of baby red potatoes, cut into wedges
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
2 carrots, finely sliced or julienned
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup sliced radishes
1/2 cup steamed, french green beans
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon of lemon zest
1 garlic clove, minced
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Bring potatoes and salted water to a boil in a large saucepan, reduce heat and simmer 7 to 10 minutes or until tender. Drain. Place potatoes in a large bowl, sprinkle with vinegar and oil, and toss gently. Cool completely (I like my potato salad warm, so I skipped that step).
Whisk together buttermilk and next 3 ingredients. Stir in carrots and next 6 ingredients, season with salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon buttermilk mixture over potato mixture, toss gently to coat. Cover and chill 1 to 24 hours before serving (also skipped this step).
Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Southern Living, June 2011
www.southernliving.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment