Wednesday, August 1, 2012

BAKED BALSAMIC FIGS WITH MASCARPONE CHEESE

A friend had given me this recipe a long time ago, and I have been waiting for fresh figs to be in season to try it. I was so excited when I found them in the supermarket, and made this for my husband and I as an appetizer that very night. Unfortunately, I did forget to sprinkle the mint on, which is why you don't see any in this picture, but it would definitely add another layer of flavor.
It was very simple and yummy, and even though I served it as an appetizer it would also be great as a dessert. 

BAKED BALSAMIC FIGS WITH MASCARPONE CHEESE


6 fresh figs
1/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup aged balsamic vinegar, or balsamic reduction
3/4 cup mascarpone cheese
handful of mint leaves, chopped

Heat oven to 350F.
Slice each fig in half lengthwise and scoop out a tiny bit of the interior to make room for the cheese.
Place figs cut side up in a small baking dish, and sprinkle almonds around them. Drizzle vinegar over figs and nuts, saving a little vinegar for garnish. Bake for 10 minutes.
Place a dollop (about a tablespoon) of mascarpone cheese in each fig. Sprinkle with mint, drizzle with remaining vinegar and serve immediately.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment