Saturday, November 24, 2012

SOUTHERN BISCUITS

My children woke up wanting biscuits, and it seemed nothing else would do! I must admit, we often have the frozen kind on hand for a quick and easy breakfast - I'm all about convenience on those rushed weekday mornings. However, the freezer was bare of biscuits, and being a weekend, I had time to indulge my family. They were delighted when I found this Paula Deen recipe, and devoured the warm biscuits so quickly I was lucky to get a picture and a taste.

SOUTHERN BISCUITS


2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
2/3 cup milk

Heat oven to 450F. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
Place the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a food processor. Pulse to combine the dry ingredients. Add the shortening and process until the shortening is completely incorporated. Add 1/3 cup of milk and pulse four times. If the dough holds together, stop adding milk. If you need more, add a little more.
When the dough holds together, turn it onto a floured board. Roll or pat out about 1/4 inch thick. Cut out biscuits with a 2 inch cutter. Place the biscuits on the prepared cookie sheet and bake for 8 minutes.
Let cool on wire racks.
Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Paula Deen & Friends, 2005
www.pauladeen.com/recipes/

1 comment:

  1. I love cooking mine on a baking stone. I put it in a cold oven with the biscuits and keep an eye on them. They are so much fluffier when you do this!

    ReplyDelete