Wednesday, January 23, 2013

ANGEL HAIR PASTA WITH BROCCOLI PUREE

From the moment I read the words "The angel hair pasta soaks up all the sauce and it becomes really creamy." I knew this was a recipe I had to try. It sounded healthy but decadent - perfect.
Although I felt it lacked something in flavor and taste, I still find myself longing for a big bowl of it.
It was an easy recipe to follow, and quick to cook, which was very much appreciated as I was having a wonderful chat with my sister in law in New Zealand, and I was more focused on my conversation than what I was making. Also, the boys both had karate until late - so we needed to walk in the door and sit down for dinner.

ANGEL HAIR PASTA WITH BROCCOLI PUREE


3 cups chicken stock
1 head broccoli, including stalk, roughly chopped (about 3 loosely packed cups)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish
1 clove garlic
2 egg yolks
salt and black pepper to taste
1 pound angel hair pasta

In a small saucepan over high heat, bring stock to a boil. Add broccoli and cook until stalks are fork-tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Transfer stock and broccoli to a blender (or use an immersion blender), add cheese and garlic. Blend until combined. Adding one egg yolk at a time, pulse until mixture is slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer back to a medium size saucepan and bring to a simmer.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of salted water until just pliant - about 30 seconds to one minute - then transfer immediately to the simmering sauce.
Finish cooking pasta in sauce over medium heat until the pasta is al dente and sauce has thickened, about 3 minutes.  Serve with extra Parmesan.
Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from the Wall Street Journal, May 2012
online.wsj.com/.../SB1000142405270230391690457737600185884...

No comments:

Post a Comment