Monday, January 28, 2013

CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER SMOOTHIE

During one of my many visits to Crystal Bridges, I dined in their wonderful restaurant, Eleven, then, allowed my guest to leisurely enjoy the magnificent art collection, while I retired to a comfy chair to lose myself in my book.
However, through the din, I distinctly overheard several different people ask what a "smoothie" was, after they read the nearby coffee bar menu. I was rather surprised, and wondered if Smoothies were a relatively new development. Upon researching the history of this blended beverage, I learned that they were originally sold in Health Food stores in the 1930's, inspired by concoctions from Brazil, and, it would seem, increased in popularity throughout the decades in direct relation to an emphasis on healthy eating (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoothie).
My Daughter loved this Chocolate Peanut Butter version, and by adding skim milk and fat free Greek yogurt in combination with the fruits, it stays true to its healthy origins.

CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER SMOOTHIE


1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1 frozen sliced ripe banana (I would recommend peeling and slicing before freezing)
1/4 cup frozen raspberries
1/4 cup Greek yogurt

Place all of the ingredients in a blender, process until smooth.
Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Cooking Light, July 2003
www.cookinglight.com/static/pdfs/2003annualindex.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment