Sunday, September 11, 2011

SHRIMP AND ASPARAGUS RISOTTO

The first time I truly enjoyed a risotto, was at my friend Ashley's house - I fell in love with the rich creaminess of the dish. I don't have her recipe, but here is one I found, and my husband proclaimed to be "spectacular".

SHRIMP AND ASPARAGUS RISOTTO



4 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup yellow onion
1 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 pound fresh asparagus, stemmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
18 large shrimp, shelled and deveined
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish

Simmer chicken broth on low heat until needed.
Heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in rice and cook for 5 minutes, then add white wine.
Add 1/2 cup of broth and stir until completely absorbed. Repeat until 2 cups of broth have been added. Stir the risotto frequently to prevent sticking.
Add asparagus and shrimp to the remaining broth and cook for about 2 minutes, or until shrimp are pink. Remove asparagus and shrimp from the broth and add them to the risotto mixture.
Add 1/2 a cup of broth at a time until desired creaminess is reached (there may be broth left over)
Once the broth is absorbed, add butter, parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish with parsley.
Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from The Morning News, April 2007

1 comment:

  1. I am so flattered! Love you! I will share my recipes anytime!!

    ReplyDelete