Wednesday, January 1, 2014

CARIBBEAN BLACK EYED PEAS

Yes, I made all the usual resolutions, that I seem to renew with increased earnestness at the beginning of every year! Eat smaller portions and more mindfully, put down the laundry (newspaper, dishes, hairspray, recipe) and listen, really listen, to my kids and husband, return e-mails and text messages in a timely manner, and write nightly in my gratitude journal.
This year, I also plan and hope to make a conscious effort to live with gratitude throughout the day - to change negative thoughts to positive ones, to fill my mind and days with being thankful. Happy NEW Year!

"When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around" Willie Nelson

CARIBBEAN BLACK EYED PEAS


2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
16 ounces frozen black eyed peas
juice of 2 oranges
3/4 cup chicken broth
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 6 minutes, or until the onions are golden and soft. Add the ginger, thyme and allspice, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the black eyed peas, orange juice and chicken broth, and simmer on low for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from The Arkansas Democrat Gazette, January 2014
www.arkansasonline.com/news/features/food/‎

No comments:

Post a Comment