Sunday, January 12, 2014

CHOCOLATE BUTTERSCOTCH LAVA CAKE

A friend hosted a "crock-pot" party New Years Eve which I thought was such a fun idea, and immediately began searching for a specific recipe I had been excited to try.
I wasn't able to locate the recipe I had planned to make - a luscious chocolatey dessert, so I ended up taking an appetizer I wasn't thrilled with!
However, while looking through my extensive recipe pile a few days later, I came across the coveted recipe, and when we tried it, it was every bit as delectable as I had imagined!!

CHOCOLATE BUTTERSCOTCH LAVA CAKE


16 1/2 ounce package dark chocolate cake mix
3.9 ounce package chocolate instant pudding mix, divided
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/4 cups milk, divided
3 eggs
8 ounce package chocolate covered toffee bits, divided
1 cup butterscotch chips

Measure 1 ounce of the chocolate pudding mix and set aside.
In a large bowl, beat cake mix, remaining pudding mix, sour cream, butter, vanilla, 1 1/4 cups milk and eggs, with an electric mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes.
Stir in 1 cup of the toffee bits. Pour the batter into a lightly greased slow cooker.
In a medium saucepan, heat remaining 2 cups of milk over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until hot and bubbling. Remove from heat.
Sprinkle remaining chocolate pudding mix over the batter in the slow cooker, and top with the butterscotch chips.
Slowly pour the hot milk over pudding and chips.
Cover and cook on low for 4 1/2 hours. Let stand for 15 minutes.
Top with ice cream or whipped cream and garnish with remaining toffee bits as desired.
Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from The Northwest Arkansas Times, November 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment