Thursday, October 17, 2013

BLUE HAWAIIAN COCKTAIL and CRAB SALAD IN ENDIVE LEAVES

During the last gasp of warm weather, a friend hosted her daughters birthday party at the pool in our back yard. When she told me the theme was a Hawaiian Fiesta, I immediately started thinking all things Mexican - pulled out my South of the Border decorations, whipped up some guacamole and planned to set out salsa and chips in my finest Mexican bowls (actually, they weren't really mine, I borrowed them from a friend who had lugged them back from her several trips down south).
It finally dawned on me the night before the party, that it was a Hawaiian theme, perhaps all the talk of pineapples and leis and "Island Paradise in the Pacific" clued me in.
Although I frantically scrabbled for Hawaiian themed recipes, I wasn't able to reverse my careful planning for the Fiesta, even knowing spam is very popular in the Aloha State, I wasn't willing to open a can on my table, the pineapple pieces on the pizzas would have to fill the lack of any other Hawaiian food.
After having the time to investigate Hawaiian cuisine further, I would have made this Blue Hawaiian Cocktail and Crab Salad, to serve to the adults, almost as good as chips and salsa.

BLUE HAWAIIAN COCKTAIL


1 ounce light rum
1 ounce blue Curacao liqueur
2 ounces pineapple juice
1 ounce cream of coconut (I used light coconut milk)
1 cup ice

Combine rum, blue Curacao, pineapple juice, cream of coconut, and ice in a blender. Pulse on high speed until smooth. Pour into glass. Garnish with a slice of pineapple and a marascino cherry if desired (or a cheap paper umbrella!)
Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com
allrecipes.com/recipe/blue-hawaiian-cocktail/‎

CRAB SALAD IN ENDIVE LEAVES


4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
24 ounces crabmeat, drained
2 to 3 heads of Belgian endive, trimmed, separated into spears
chopped fresh chives for garnish

Whisk the vinegar, mustard, oregano, salt and pepper in a large bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in the oil. Add the crabmeat and toss gently to coat.
Arrange the endive spears on a platter. Spoon the crabmeat onto the endive spears. Sprinkle with chives and an extra sprinkle of ground pepper and serve.
Enjoy! I would love for you to share recipedoodle with your friends and family!

Recipe adapted from Giada De Laurentiis
www.foodnetwork.com › Recipes › Seafood‎

No comments:

Post a Comment