Wednesday, September 19, 2012

PEANUT HUMMUS

I originally made this dip for an "unusual pairings" party, my husband and I hosted. Not being familiar with boiled peanuts, I used the roasted kind, easily found in every supermarket in this area. My first attempt didn't turn out very well - it resembled a satay sauce, rather than hummus!
My dear friend let me know that in fact boiled peanuts were very different to roasted and they were to be found in abundance down South. On a recent family trip through Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida, we came across many stands at the side of the road that were selling boiled peanuts - and I was excited to try them, and to attempt this recipe again. The texture was very like a large, soft bean, perfect for a hummus-like dip.

PEANUT HUMMUS


1 cup shelled boiled peanuts
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
pinch of ground red pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil

Process first 7 ingredients in a food processor until coarsely chopped, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Add olive oil, processing until smooth - adding more lemon juice and/or olive oil as needed.
Serve with pita chips, sliced carrots, cucumbers, and red pepper strips, as desired.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment