Monday, September 30, 2013

APPLE BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP and LARD BISCUITS

Duck fat and pork fat - I was definitely interested. I wouldn't ordinarily, in fact have never, cooked with either. But, I discovered a package of duck fat at the store, and was intrigued. After conducting a quick search on my phone in the middle of the dairy isle, where the duck fat happened to be located, I deduced there were recipes I would be able to make, so I purchased the container. Then, my husband was shocked, when on another recent outing to the store, I tossed lard into the cart. I explained to him a friend had told me the very best biscuits included a little pork fat, and as he knows I am willing to go to great lengths for good food and new tastes, he indulged me. The duck fat had a distinctive flavor - my daughter and I both noticed a lovely hint of fowl in the velvety, delicious Apple Butternut Squash Soup. However, I will have to ask my friend for her biscuit recipe, as these Lard Biscuits were a little dry and tough.

APPLE BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP



2 teaspoons duck fat
1 onion
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
1 butternut squash (roasted whole at 400F for 40 to 45 minutes)
1/2 cup applesauce
1 1/2 cups water
1 ounce duck fat
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
salt and freshly ground black pepper
snipped fresh chives

Heat the 2 teaspoons of duck fat in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and ginger and saute until they turn golden. Add the butternut squash, applesauce, water, the 1 ounce of duck fat, and the peppers and salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
Cool then blend with an immersion blender.
Add extra water to desired thickness. Heat until warmed through, ladle into bowls, garnish with chives and serve.
Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from More Than Gourmet
www.morethangourmet.com › ... › Easy Gluten Free Recipes‎

LARD BISCUITS



2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons lard
3/4 cup milk

Heat oven to 450F. Grease a baking sheet.
In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in lard with a fork until mixture is crumbly. Add milk all at once and mix until flour is completely wet. Knead dough in bowl with one hand for 15 seconds. Turn dough out onto lightly floured and roll to 1/2 inch thick. Cut biscuits with 2 inch biscuit or cookie cutter. Place biscuits on greased baking sheet.
Bake for 12 minutes or until done.
Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Bread Baking
http://breadbaking.about.com/od/rollsbiscuitsandscones/r/lardbisk.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment