Friday, September 13, 2013

PRICKLY PEAR MARGARITA and SIESTA MARGARITA and GRAPEFRUIT MARGARITA and MANGO MARGARITA

I recently read a wonderful, well written book called "Are You Really Going To Eat That?"
I loved the food based stories inside, and the Authors adventures and perspectives.
One story was about Prickly Pears, followed by a recipe for a Prickly Pear Margarita, which sounded so good, I absolutely had to make it.
I learned that Cactus Pears are called Indian Figs in Italy and Tunas in Mexico, which came in very useful when I ventured to our local Mexican market in search of the fruit. I asked for Prickly Pears, but was met with confusion until I pulled up a picture on my phone, and the lovely man helping me said "aahhhh, Tunas!", and walked me to the produce section to point them out, but if I didn't know better I would have argued I was looking for a fruit not a fish.
After infusing the Prickly Pears/Tunas in tequila, I invited a couple of friends over to share the bounty. I have also included a few other Margarita recipes I have made for friends over the summer.


PRICKLY PEAR MARGARITA



10 purple prickly pear fruits
1 bottle (750 ml) white tequila
crushed ice
Limes
Triple Sec

Peel each prickly pear fruit and discard the skin. Put the peeled fruit in a large glass jar and then pour in the tequila so that the fruits are completely submerged. Seal tightly and allow to sit for 3 to 4 days. For each margarita, remove one tuna. Cut in half and remove the seeds. Put the fruit in a blender.
For each drink, add 1/2 cup crushed ice, 2 jiggers (3 ounces) of the cactus flavored tequila, 1 jigger (1 1/2 ounces) of triple sec and the juice of 1 lime.
Blend and serve.
Enjoy! please share recipe doodle with your friends and family!

Recipe adapted from Are You Really Going to Eat That?, Robb Walsh, 2003
robbwalsh.com/books/book4/‎

SIESTA MARGARITA


1 1/2 ounces of tequila
3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
3/4 ounce simple syrup
1/2 ounce fresh grapefruit juice
1/4 ounce campari

Shake liquid ingredients with ice and strain into a glass.
Enjoy! Please share recipedoodle with your friends and family!

Recipe adapted from The Wall Street Journal, April 2012
online.wsj.com/public/page/magazine-food.html‎

GRAPEFRUIT MARGARITA


2 cups ruby red grapefruit juice
2/3 cup Blanco tequila
1/4 cup lime juice
1 to 1 1/2 cups of ginger ale
2 cups ice

Stir together grapefruit juice, tequila and lime juice in a large pitcher. Stir in ginger ale and ice.
Serve immediately.
Enjoy! Please share recipedoodle with your friends and family!

Recipe adapted from Southern Living
www.southernliving.com/food/kitchen-assistant/‎

MANGO MARGARITA


1 small mango, peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
3 ounces of grapefruit soda
1 1/2 ounces of fresh lime juice
2 ounces orange liqueur
1 1/2 ounces agave nectar
3 ounces silver tequila
1 cup ice

In a blender, puree the mango. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and serve.
Enjoy! Please share recipedoodle with your friends and family!

Recipe adapted from Food and Wine, August 2010
www.foodandwine.com/‎

No comments:

Post a Comment