Saturday, September 21, 2013

TOOTIE BREAD

This weekend is the 14th annual Bikes Blues and Bar-B-Que festival in Fayetteville. We live down town, so are very close to the heart of the action - although it has grown so large, no corner of our State goes untouched.
It's not an event I personally care for, but I thoroughly enjoy the festive atmosphere, and have come to appreciate what it brings to our town. It is wonderful to see the pride the people have in their bikes, and I am proud of our town and love that so many are able to enjoy it during this very beautiful time of year.
However, my biggest annoyance during the entire five days, is the refusal or inability of the drivers/bikers to stop at cross walks. I first noticed it years ago while I was standing waiting to cross the road with a baby buggy pushed in front of me, and again the other night while I was standing at the curb, wanting to navigate safely to the other side holding the hand of my 7 year old.

TOOTIE BREAD


1 loaf french bread
8 slices of swiss cheese
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
4 slices of bacon or Canadian bacon, cooked and crumbled or chopped

Cut the bread into 16 slices, to but not through the bottom. Cut the cheese slices diagonally into halves. Place the cheese between the slices of bread. Place the bread loaf on a sheet of foil.
Mix the butter, onion, mustard and poppy seeds in a bowl. Spread over the top and side of the loaf. Sprinkle with the bacon. Wrap in the foil. Place on a baking sheet.
Bake at 400F for 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Southern Accent, A Second Helping, 2003
jlpb.net/cookbook.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment