Tuesday, September 24, 2013

COUNTRY CAKE

I made this on an extremely busy day - one of those crazy, even busier days than usual - when I knew household chores and errands wouldn't leave me any time for any kind of elaborate recipe - when I was rushing from one activity to another and I barely found the time to pop a cake in the oven - when even the lady giving me my pedicure (because I just HAD to squeeze it in) scolded me and told me I needed to relax!

COUNTRY CAKE


2 cups self-rising flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup milk
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Heat oven to 350F.
Grease a 9 by 13 inch glass baking dish.
Place all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix well by hand. Pour into prepared baking dish. Bake 35 to 45 minutes, until cake top is lightly browned. Remove from oven and immediately prepare the icing.

COUNTRY CAKE ICING

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
1 (5 ounce) can of evaporated milk
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Stir sugar, flour and milk together in a saucepan, add butter and bring mixture to a rolling boil over medium heat, stirring to avoid sticking. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
Poke holes all over the top of the cake with a fork and pour warm icing over the surface of the cake.

Enjoy! Please share recipedoodle with your friends!

Recipe adapted from The Arkansas Democrat Gazette, August 2013
www.arkansasonline.com/news/features/food/‎

No comments:

Post a Comment